Sunday, May 2, 2010

Baby Steps

I'm in lesson four of Pimsleur. At this point, I feel like if I can just learn to read Hebrew in two months I'll be satisfied.
The whole thing is overwhelming at this point, but it was like that with a lot of my initial forays into new languages. I remember trying to learn to read Thai, Urdu, Arabic, Japanese, Korean. Maybe overwhelming at first, but after a return to it (maybe much) later, it made sense.
I'm recognizing consonants in Hebrew at least, and getting through Pimsleur lessons okay. Thought I'd get a head start on my own with verbs, but I'm just not up to it yet. Might have to take a few more weeks of just Pimsleur and the writing system before I can get out on my own and supplement my study. It actually makes me tired.
Slow'n'steady wins the race.

2 comments:

  1. What else are you doing, other than Pimsleur?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Other than Pimsleur, we're working with whatever resources we can come up with elsewhere. For me, it's mostly stuff online. There aren't many Hebrew resources in bookstores in Taiwan, but the internet provides quite a bit, and it's free. So I'll be posting some good Hebrew language resources as I find them.

    ReplyDelete