Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Hebrew Handwriting

Found a helpful site for Hebrew handwriting.
I've learned to recognize the shapes of the letters and how to differentiate between some that look similar to each other. This is fine, but in trying to take notes, I find myself more drawing the letters than writing them. The script actually looks pretty great, but trying to replicate it with a ballpoint pen just wasn't working. It looks like... scribbles, even though I know what it should say. It just doesn't LOOK like Hebrew when I write it down. The link above is a link for the handwritten script, which in most areas closely resembles the general shape of the block letters you see on a computer. It serves not only to make the characters simple enough to write down, but also differentiates between some similar ones (to untrained eyes), thereby leaving no ambiguity when I go back to look at my notes.
Worth a look, because when learning a foreign language that uses a new script, I feel it's one of the most important things to learn that script first. (I say that as a fluent Chinese speaker that can write very little Chinese, but yeah, I regret that). It will give you an opportunity not only to learn to read and write, but it's another avenue by which to practice and become comfortable with the language.

6 comments:

  1. It probably looks like scribbles because in hebrew you're a kindergartner. You need some of that paper with the really big lines so you can practice the way we did in kindergarten. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So true. I've been dealing with the same thing in Thai. We're adults, and know how to write in our own language, so it seems we should be able to write in any... not so. I've got the grasp of Thai shapes, but not yet with Hebrew. Not to mention my English handwriting is atrocious...

    ReplyDelete
  3. My handwriting has never changed since when I was a kid so it shows in Hebrew too. There are probably some of those "trace the letters" stencils you could download. Or you could even create some.

    Are you learning the cursive script or the block script also?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm learning to read the block script, but it's so much trouble to write (and looks bad) that I'm learning the handwritten (cursive) script. (Is there a difference?) Unsigned, why are you learning Hebrew, if you don't mind me asking? Interested to hear. Thx.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had always wanted to learn another language, and after I watched an Israeli movie on TV I decided on Hebrew. That's about it. As for the script, there are a few differences between some of the letters, so you should probably learn to read and write both. The block script seemed pretty awkward to write at first, but I eventually got to the point where I could write the block and cursive at pretty much the same level.

    And if you want, here's a website I found awhile ago with a many different Hebrew resources listed on it:
    http://hebrew.ecott.ch/

    And let me ask you, when doing the Pimsleur lessons do you write down the dialogues that happen in each along with the new words?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Why didn't you include a "nothing" or "unknown" option on your poll?

    ReplyDelete