Sunday, May 23, 2010

The necessity of necessity

In most of my linguistic endeavors, I've been motivated by some sort of desire to communicate with someone somewhere, even in retrospect. By that I mean, for example, running into someone that speaks Twi and not being able to speak a single word of it. So I'll go home and look up some words or phrases or learn how to count to ten; even if I won't see that person again, it stands to reason if I've run into a Twi speaking person once, it's likely to happen again, and then I can at least say hello. But that's pretty much the extent of it. A day, maybe two. Some notes, a youtube video or a quick look at the alphabet on Omniglot.
A more devoted project was my recent pursuit of Italian, which I must say, although I wasn't terribly fond of in the studying process, I came to thoroughly enjoy when I had the chance to speak it with people IN Italy, and I will say that my conversations went beyond 'survival' Italian; I spoke with people about wines, cheeses, decent restaurants, real estate, culture and business, albeit still very simply. I was somewhat burdened by my commitment to 'learn' it before I left for Italy, but was motivated solely by the knowledge that I would bask in my success while there, or immensely regret my failure to stick with it before I came, thereby relinquishing a wonderful cultural and linguistic opportunity. That necessity was motivation.
A more long term but maybe slightly less aggressively violent pursuit has been that of Thai. I've dilly-dallied with it on and off for the past year and a half or so, but only last year did I really pursue it before I returned from Thailand and it fell into abeyance until just before I went again (with Li'l bro). I love the language and have since taken a long-term approach to learning it. Movies, music, reference materials, learning to read and write, etc.
What does this have to do with Hebrew? It's basically an excuse to say I'm finding motivation to learn this (incredibly difficult [or at least very foreign]) language extremely difficult to muster. It was part of the project from the get-go: to stack the odds against freakishly fervent language learners and see how we did. However, with nowhere to use it and very little motivation (except pride to complete this little project), I'm finding its arbitrary nature very uninspiring.
That's not to say I'm not going to continue to (try to) study it and see how far I get in two months, but the fervor with which I usually pursue a new foreign language is fueled by a desire to communicate with other people and USE the language. Even in the past month, Japanese has recently reared its head as a language I greatly admire and whose speakers I envy. It would actually be extremely useful to me here, and I have a slew of people and resources available to me to learn it, but I've tried to keep faithful to Hebrew.
This is to say that I'm finding, for me, usefulness is outrageously motivating, and the lack of it naturally the opposite. I am slightly excited by the idea of personal edification, knowing what used to be such an important (Classical) influential language, but I'm still not finding myself itching to listen to half-hour Pimsleur lessons at every opportunity. There are still 36 days, 8 hours and 47 minutes (at time of this post) left to the Hebrew Experiment, and usefulness is definitely my biggest obstacle to mustering motivation to finish all 60 lessons....

2 comments:

  1. In all of the latin american countries I've visited I've run into Hebrew speaking travelers. I have many memories of trying to sleep while they stayed up talking in that incredibly foreign language. Have you tried going to the gringo hangouts? You might find some travelers to practice with. Or maybe they only go to the americas??

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel ya. I've never met someone who spoke Hebrew that wasn't bilingual, and even if you get the language there is just no way ever ever ever that you can catch up on the culture. I would say make the best of your hemisphere and stick to the languages there, but it was a nice experiment.

    ReplyDelete