Thursday, February 18, 2010

Calling all...

current/former/aspiring/self-proclaimed/potential/compulsory/involuntary linguists and/or language students:
I am the creator of the Hebrew Experiment.
There's something I'd like to share with you. It is Parkinson's Law. Many people don't know it by this name, but it states that Work expands so as to fill the time available for its completion. This principle can be true of many other resources, but we are certainly interested here with time.
The time, or lack of it, is one reason many people feel they cannot successfully learn another language. Time concerns take various forms:
  • It takes too much time out of my day/week/month to dedicate to studying a language
  • It takes too much time and effort before I can even use what I'm studying.
  • I don't have time to continue to use what I've already studied, and I end up forgetting it.
and on and on. These are valid concerns, but do not mistake them for excuses.
I have been asking some of my friends about their reasons for not starting a study of foreign language, not continuing, etc, and there are some consistent answers. Throughout the course of the Hebrew Experiment, I'd like to see, against many intentional and preconceived disadvantages, how many of these can be dispelled. One we will certainly be addressing is time: reducing the time it takes to complete a task without sacrificing the quality of the final product.
I don't mean to stand on a soap box. I do enjoy foreign language study, and it is not my intention to flaunt anything. It has proven to be one of the most enjoyable, rewarding experiences I've ever had; that being said, instead of calling people on their excuses or sounding dogmatic or elitist about anything, I'm hoping to make it clear how it can be done enjoyably and more efficiently for those that have ever had any desire to do so. To de-foreignize foreign language. Speaking a second (or fifth) language doesn't have to be an elitist accomplishment.
That's it. I'm excited to get this going, and we're waiting on the third participant to come forward and introduce themselves, but after that I'll be sharing all the gory details of the project. We'll start discussing why we're doing it the way we are, how it came to being, etc.
I also mentioned earlier (I think) that it would be great if anyone were interested in trying to recreate the results on their own or start up a project themselves. This obviously isn't possible until you know exactly what's going on, but if you've ever wanted to learn another language, and feel like you could take a couple of months out of this year to get a good head start, then ask around and see if anyone else you know wants to play along, and look out for the details of what we're doing. They should be up within the next week or so.

3 comments:

  1. I don't plan on learning another foreign language now, but I am interested in the concept of Parkinson's Law. I adhere to the principle that whatever must be done, can be done, so I think the key is really setting a framework in which you feel like you HAVE to do the thing you allegedly don't have time for. Otherwise, you rely only on passion, which may or may not be there when you need it.

    Also, my verification word was REARR. Funny.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would also argue propensity or natural talent cannot be overlooked. I don't think it's elitist of you to be excited about learning new languages. But I do think you should recognize that your brain seems to be wired for learning and using multiple foreign languages.

    It's just as real as someone's gift for music or art - some people got it, others ain't got it.

    Obviously, there is a lot of truth to the concept of time control/management or else we would not be urged to "buy out the opportune time" for important things. But time control/management will only get you so far.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Certainly. I haven't really addressed the issue of time yet, just brought it up because it's a variable we'll be playing with. I'll get there.
    And to a certain degree or other, I can share that propensity. Little two year old Mozart playing piano proteges can't really do that, but as they get older, they can make practical suggestions and be of help.

    ReplyDelete