Saturday, February 13, 2010

One Test Subject Speaks!

It began with a burst of enthusiasm so typical of the originator of this most unorthodox experiment. It was both a unique and intriguing offer. A linguistical endeavor with very...interesting variables to say the least. Would I be agreeable? Why ever not? In fact, I would be remiss if I didn't mention that I found this whirlwind of a linguistical journey a bit thrilling. However, to understand why I would jump at such an undertaking ( for which details will be later revealed) with such abandon, you'd do well to know a little about me.

The year is 2001. By day, you'll find me in a high school classroom with three others, tenacious enough (or, one might argue, insane enough) to take on AP Spanish, by evening, at the local school for the deaf and blind, studying American Sign Language with the resident interpreters, and some nights, reading books on linguistical theories at the local university library or B&N whenever I had the chance.

Fast forward, and you'll find me at my first job as a secretary, studying languages during the frequent lulls of that job and jotting down tragically unrealistic language goals I wanted to achieve by age twenty-one. I admit, if language, in all it forms were a disease, I'd be writing this from ICU.

This having been said, I also have focus problems. No, correct that, linguistically speaking I have full-blown ADD. At different points I have resolved to learn a number of languages, and these resolves can last anywhere from one hour to several years. As a result I'm not nearly the polyglot my history would suggest. I'm only fluent in Spanish. I can carry on basic conversations in American Sign Language, I'm well on my way in Arabic (but the road ahead is long and I am nowhere near fluent), and I know a smattering of salutations and phrases from various languages. Who can say where the tide will take me next? A visit to another country or a chance meeting with someone from a distant land in a random Wal-mart can set me off in another direction. I guess I'll have to wait and see.

This is my linguistical background, in my own words. Apparently it qualifies me to be a test subject in "The Hebrew Experiment." Keep following along and decide for yourself.

3 comments:

  1. Check out these 2 blogs. I think you'll like them:
    http://HebrewSpeaker.blogspot.com/
    http://ArabicSpeaker.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! Very excited to have another join me. Still 73 days left, but we're down a whole month from when we started. Can't wait to hear from the third, and then we can start discussing.

    ReplyDelete