Saturday, February 27, 2010

The Spiel

There were a few criteria in mind for exactly which language we were going to use for this little project.
It came about as a result of my study of Italian. I was going to try to finish all 90 lessons of Italian in 90 days before I left. I leave in 13 days and am about .... 35 lessons behind. Ouch. But in my defense, there's a plethora of other study materials and things I've looked at online that have been able to pinpoint more closely what I feel like I'll need to know. I took Latin for four years in school, which serves as a wonderful foundation for any language really, not to mention one it's very closely related to.
In any case, I got to thinking about that kind of highly compressed, learning-in-a-bubble approach to studying. Instead of something 'methodical' that borders on slow, monotonous study, could one reason that a blisteringly fast, haphazard approach would in some ways work better? We will find out. I emailed Andrea and Kimberly about it, and they jumped onboard, and we finally arrived at Hebrew. Some of the other contenders were Korean, Hindi, Greek, Tagalog and Ojibwe. For a number of reasons, we chose Hebrew. Most of the reasons were because of the distinct disadvantages it would present, but there were one or two advantages to Hebrew, for the purposes of this undertaking. In the next few posts (possibly amongst others regarding various things), we'll outline what these reasons are and what strategery led us to these conclusions.

No comments:

Post a Comment